Monday, January 28, 2013

Comparing J-horror movie with Hollywood it

Hello! I will try to compare J-horror movie with Hollywood remade it.

 I have talked about Japanese horror and J-horror movie for five weeks, and I have done about some characteristics of J-horror last week. So, I will try to do. Compared movies are “Ring” and “The Ring”. The reason I chose them are two. One is that “Ring” is the early movie in J-horror boom. The other is that it is the top in my poll. So, I easily compare and talk plainly because we are well-known movies. I directly watched them. I especially paid attention to their stories and expression based on characteristics of J-horror.


First, I will introduce the compared movies simply.

“Ring” (1998)
This movie made in Japan. This runs 95 minutes. The director is Hideo Nakata. This is not the original film. This is based on a novel, “Ring” written by Koji Suzuki.

Story
Main character, Reiko Asakura is a director of a TV station. She knew a strange death of her niece. She looked over the truth of death. Then, she found out an urban legend that a strange video tape kill a person watched it after one week. She got and watched it. She looked for a way she avoided her death with Ryuji Takayama who is her cooperator and her former husband. On the way, her son watched its video, too. They try to find the cause early. At last, they found out the cause why watched person because of a video tape. It is that a curse of Sadako Yamamura. They searched out her dead body from the inside of a well under a hotel. Just then they thought her curse lost, but Ryuji Takayama is killed by Sadako. Reiko Asakura noticed why she helped, the reason is that she showed its copy video other person. Because she protected Reiko Asakura’s son, she made her parents watch its copy viedo.

 “The Ring” (2002)
 


This movie made in Hollywood. This runs 116 minutes. The director is Gore Verbinski. This cost is low, but this got a great box-office record. This movie’s popularity leaded a boom that remake J-horror movie in Hollywood.

 



Next, I will try to compare. “Ring” and “The Ring” have some points of similarity and different. I pay attention to each point: story, character and expression.

1. Story
Stories aren’t big difference. Hollywood “Ring” is based on story of Japanese “Ring”. But
Hollywood it adds an arrangement. There are not explanations of the Sadako’s past in Japanese it but there are explanations in Hollywood. Hollywood “Ring” adds a little comedy.

 
2. Character
Their appeared characters aren’t difference much. But profiles of characters are a bit of difference. For example, the past of Sadako is not clear in “Ring”, but it is clear in Hollywood. Even more, Ryuji has supernatural power but he doesn’t it in Hollywood.

 

3. Expression
I found some differences.
Sadako
Japan: Her face can’t be seen. Her left eye can only be seen. She slowly moves.
Hollywood: Her face is clear. She can do teleportation.

Water
Japan: Well water is used in Opening and other scene.
Hollywood: It isn’t used.

an image of the video tape
Japan: This image is eerie. There are mirror, woman, man, Miharayama Mountain and water.
Hollywood: This image is grotesque. There are muddy water, a chair, a burning tree, fingers, eyeballs, moon, and a woman.
video tape of Japan "Ring"
 
video tape of Hollywood "  Ring"

 
I compared their movies and I know a difference of Japanese and American expression.
“Ring” doesn’t only remake in Hollywood but also South Korea. I would like to compare three movies including a movie remade in South Korea. Even more, there are other remade J-horror movies in Hollywood: “Juon”, “Tyakushin ari”, “Honogurai mizu no soko kara” and “Zyoyu rei”. I would like to watch them, too. When I compared Japanese movie with other country’s it, I may find many difference of expression. So, I think this way is good if you begin being interested in J-horror movie.
 
Next week, I would like to talk about how to take horror movie. See you!

No comments: